7daysweek

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Really?

Sunday Jacob, who will turn 16 in just 3 months, wasn't feeling great.  He complained of being a little achy, low-grade fever, stomach ache, so he mostly rested and worked on the computer.
Then Jacob woke up Monday morning.  And pulled up his shirt to show me...chicken pox?
Really?  Didn't see that coming.
Jacob was vaccinated for the chicken pox as a little guy and broke out in a light case after receiving the vaccine.  Unfortunately, I didn't force him to get the booster recently when it was recommended.  
My mistake.  And what a mistake it is turning out to be.
Three of my four other kiddos also had not yet received the booster.  There's a chance that they have already been exposed and it's too late, but the doctor decided it was worth a try.  So as soon as school was out yesterday, all booster vaccines were completed.  
Poor Jacob has a terrible case of the pox and nothing seems to be helping the poor guy.  I feel especially responsible because apparently Jacob was exposed two weeks ago when he helped me teach the three year old class at church.  
Unfortunately, this Thursday, Jacob, Mikaela, and their robotics team were scheduled to attend their regional competition in Milwaukee.  I'm afraid Jacob won't be recovered enough to be able to go by then, and he truly worked hard and eagerly anticipated this event.  Uggh...
Prayers for Jacob would be greatly appreciated.

4 comments:

Paige said...

I hope he feels better soon and it isn't too bad... you definitely don't expect this when you are immunized for something!

Unknown said...

awww man! Sorry he has the chicken pox...I broke out with a mild case when I was 14 years old, that was back before the shot was available.

Anonymous said...

It broke my heart when I heard the news! We missed him. Prayers for a complete recovery, soon!!

The Kochs

Anonymous said...

Hope your kids are all feeling better and you had a wonderful Easter.


Angela