7daysweek

Thursday, February 03, 2011

Chinese New Year 2011/ Year of the Rabbit




I don't suppose I'm all that great at remembering and celebrating all of the Chinese festivals and holidays for my girls.  But, I do try to make a special effort for Chinese New Year. 


No, I don't give the house a super cleaning.
No, we don't all get new haircuts.
Or new chinese outfits in red to wear.
I don't buy red envelopes or give chinese money.



But we do celebrate Chinese New Year in our own way.  Some years I try a new Chinese recipe.  Some years we just get Chinese take out.  Every year we decorate our house and our table.  We generally give the old chopsticks a fair try (for a few bites, anyway).  And sometimes we even go to a Chinese New Year Celebration.
  
This year, I tried a new kind of decoration thanks to my friend Vera's suggestion.  




It was very easy and turned out great.  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photos. Was waiting for the Chinese New Year photos! The decorations remind me of Jacob's origami creations--beautiful! Your headboard made a beautiful backdrop for the girls!
Love Maimie's hair up! Took my breath away because she looks so grown-up! Saidie looks great in pink! What was on the menu?
In Christian Love,
Grandma & Grandpa

sunny smiles said...

Wonderful photos! Thank you..no rules on what you should do..looks like you do plenty..God Bless!

Tina Michelle said...

Looks fun and those outfits are adorable. Those decorations look cool too. Your girs are so cute!

Anonymous said...

I love the way the lantern turned out!! So glad you were able to try it. If Jonathan goes back this summer, I am going to have to see if he will bring me back some of those envelopes :)
Happy Chinese New Year!!

Love to you,
The Kochs

Paige said...

Happy Chinese New Year. The girls look beautiful and I love Maimies hair!